Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December Update

Merry Christmas!

This update is long overdue as per usual but hopefully the length will make up for the delay!

Mandeville

     From December 6-10 us DTSers and staff made the long journey to Mandeville, the capital and largest town in the parish of Manchester. We stayed at YWAM Jamaica's first base, Stones Hope. Manchester was a big change from what we are used to in Mobay. Stones Hope rests on 30 acres of land and bush and wide open spaces. It was quiet and peaceful, a nice change from the city noise we were used to. Since we were up in the hills it was also a lot cooler (I was actually cold in Jamaica!) with temperatures around 10-15 degrees. I know all you Canadians are thinking those temps sound balmy but its all relative! 
Stones Hope Chapel
Using a blow dryer for heat

 We spent the week joining the Crossroads(Similar to basic dts but is more multi-generational and family oriented) DTS students for classes focused on reaching the unreached people groups of the world. It was great to spend a week being personally challenged to consider groups,tribes and people who are most often forgotten about or in some cases not even known about. These people are usually found in hard to access places-or places most missionaries do not choose to travel to which is I guess is kinda obvious being that we are talking about unreached.The area where the highest concentration of unreached people groups is termed the 10/40 Window.(10 and 40 degrees north of the equator).


Facts about the 10/40 Window:
10/40 Window
  • 95% of the world's unreached people live in this window
  • Contains 70% of the world's population but only 8% of the worlds missionaries laboring
  • There are more than a billion Muslims, nearly a billion Hindus, and over 600 hundred million Buddhist people in this region.
  • 10,700 children are born and 1,400 people die each hour without ever hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ
  • 70% of people in this window are under the age of 35;
  • Most of the world's children are located here;3 out of 4 of them are hungry
  • 100 million children are victims of child labor
  •  Out of every $100 given to the church, $5 is given to missions. Out of that 5¢ goes to help unreached people groups.
For more information about this window and how you can help check this website: http://1040window.org/

"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat,
 I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink,
I was a stranger and you invited me in,
I needed clothes and you clothed me,
I was sick and you looked after me, 
I was in prison and you came to visit me.
Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord when did we see you hungry and feed you or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?'
The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.' 
Matt 25:35-40


Jamaican Ties

Me and my Jamaica cousins
As most you already know, my mom is originally from Jamaica and actually grew up close to where the YWAM Stones Hope base is. Amazingly, I managed to find some of my long lost relatives that are still there. It was fun to connect and see family I never knew about but knew about me.








Lecture Phase Wrap-Up
Foreign girls plus 1
  After our week away, we returned to Montego Bay to finish our last week of lecture phase. It was hard to believe that the teaching part of DTS was ending and it seemed like before I knew it was done. We ended with a big Christmas Thanksgiving Love Feast and gift exchange (Jamaicans combine the 2 holidays and celebrate both at Christmas time). Family, friends and community members came to share a fantastic meal complete with lights,christmas trees and decoration and jerk chicken. To be honest, it did not feel like Christmas at all which I think made it easier for me to be away. However, it was  ton of fun to celebrate and enjoy good friends, good food, and what God is doing through YWAM. 


Christmas Break

     Although it was strange to be away during this time, I'm happy to say I spent my first Christmas away from home in Jamaica! As I said, the beach,palm trees and lack of snow did nothing for setting the "Christmas Atmosphere" but I did my best to make the most of it. A group of us went to Negril Beach which is about an hour or so away from where we are. It was a 7 mile beach-very touristy but very beautiful. There we enjoyed some beach volleyball, jetskiing on the Caribbean and soaking up some rays. We also visited Rick's Cafe which is a famous restaurant and cliff jumping place. The rest of the time I spent with 5 of the other girls in Runaway Bay at a fellow students home. It was such a blessing to be taken in by a Jamaican family at the time when its hardest to be away. The first day us girls climbed the famous Dunn's River Falls. So much fun!We had Christmas Jamaica style:Christmas day tradition for most Jamaicans is to have a candelight service at 5 am!Needless to say we spent the rest of the day sleeping and then all gathered together for a great family dinner. I really enjoyed being with the Wildes and am forever thankful for their hospitality!

Negril Beach

Cliff Jumping at Rick's Cafe
Dunn's river
Homemade funnel cake(Not a Jamaican tradition
All dressed up for Christmas Dinner(Hostess Gabrielle on far right)

Yummy!

Table Buddies
     
Outreach Time
     In 3 days I leave for Gambia, West Africa!!!! As I mention before we are going to be spending most of our time with the Serahule people. If you thought my blog update frequency was lacking now, it will be even less in the next 2 months most likely. Chances are high we will be without electricity for some/most of the time and I am not carrying my laptop with me. These next two months are going to be challenging but I'm ready for the rubber to hit the road and to start sharing all that I've been learning while here.







No comments:

Post a Comment